Big Bad Wolf (5.9) Red Rock, NV
What happened in Vegas stayed there - now tackle this four-pitch, 220-foot-long desert ride. With short lil’ pitches, plenty of bolts, and n00b communication, Big Bad Wolf will get you high enough above the desert floor to have the perfect view to see all the trouble you caused last night in Las Vegas.
Big Bad Wolf is a 4 pitch sport route 30 ft left of Physical Graffiti. Scramble up the gully that leads to Riding Hood for about 20 ft. The route starts on a flat sloping rock (which slid down the gully about 5 ft in Oct 2015 during really heavy rains).
- P1) 5.9, 8 bs, 70 ft, for the most part is a jug haul on vertical desert varnish, 2 chained anchors.
- P2) 5.8, 8 bs, 80 ft, Red Rock slab climbing with a thin crux midway, 2 chained anchors.
- P3) 5.8, 8 bs, 70 ft, the slab soon turns vertical with more large holds to the finish, 2 chained anchors.
- P4) 5.0, 2 b's w 2 bolt anchor, no rappel rings, 30 ft, mini-pitchette for those wanting to walk off climbers left and safely get to the walk off ledge. Look up and right for the 1st bolt. Pitch is shaped like a crescent moon up and right. Anchor is directly above P3 chains.
- Pitches 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 can be combined with a 60m rope and 17 draws, or combine all 3 pitches with a 70m rope and 26 draws.
- Preferred Descent: Walk off climbers left: climb P4 to arrive at the walk-off ledge, being very careful with all of the loose rock on the ledges. Continue south east (climbers left) until you see the gully with the tree in it and descend. Or scramble right to the standard Phys Graf rappel and gully walk off. // (via MountainProject.com)
Location // Nevada > Southern Nevada > Red Rock > Calico Basin > Riding Hood Wall